Our Information Publication Scheme (IPS) Plan
AAFCANS is required to publish a broad range of documents and information under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) on this website. We are also required to publish a plan that explains how our IPS is administered.
The IPS promotes a pro-disclosure culture across government with agencies encouraged to take a proactive approach to publishing key information above and beyond their legislative obligations.
This plan describes how AAFCANS implements and administers its IPS obligations under s 8(1) of the FOI Act by addressing:
- Administration of AAFCANS IPS entries
- Information architecture
- Information required to be published
- Other information to be published
- IPS compliance review
AAFCANS will continue to build and foster a culture in which appropriate proactive disclosure of its information holdings is embraced. This is in recognition that public sector information is a national resource managed for public purposes.
The purpose of this plan is to:
- Assist AAFCANS in maintaining and enhancing its IPS entries
- Facilitate improved transparency about those entries
- Detail the information that AAFCANS publishes, how and to whom that information is published and how AAFCANS will otherwise comply with the IPS requirements s 8(1)
- Identify further information for public release
AAFCANS objective is to outline appropriate mechanisms and procedures to:
- Manage our IPS entries
- Proactively identify and publish all information required under s 8(2)
- Proactively identify and publish any other information as appropriate (s 8(4))
- Regularly review and ensure that the information published in our IPS entry is accurate, up to date and complete (s 8B)
- Ensure that the information published under IPS is easily discoverable, understandable, machine-readable, re-useable and transformable
- Ensure satisfactory conformance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (Version 2) (WCAG 2.0)
- Measure the success of AAFCANS IPS entry by reference to community feedback and compliance review process
- Reduce formal requests under the FOI Act by making information that is routinely sought readily available and accessible.
Administration of AAFCANS IPS entries
Our Head of Governance & Risk is the strategic manager of AAFCANS’ FOI processes, the IPS and corporate information management.
The Head of Governance & Risk is the Chair of the Information Governance Committee. The Committee is comprised of key senior leaders representing Finance, HR, IT and Operations. The Committee meets regularly throughout the year to consider our information assets, their management, retention, destruction and release. Business is reported to the Board’s Corporate Governance Committee each quarter.
All decisions to publish or release information under the FOI Act must be approved by the Managing Director or Chairman as articulated in our Communications policy.
Publishing and managing the IPS entries is undertaken in accordance with our Corporate Governance calendar, financial and corporate processes driven by best practice and legislation, and our Information Governance Framework (PP03).
Information published under the IPS is made available on our website. Information will be made available in both PDF (Portable Document Format) and RTF (Rich Text Format).
An email link will be provided on the website to provide feedback on the IPS entry, particularly where documents are not discoverable, understandable or machine-readable.
AAFCANS maintains a document register and corporate governance calendar (depending on the type of document), which track:
- Responsible officer
- When the information was last updated
- When the information is next scheduled for review
- If a document is not published on the internet, the person to contact to obtain a copy.
AAFCANS will generally not charge for IPS information provided by email. However where hard copies of information is requested, charges may be imposed.
List of charges:
|$0.10 per page
Copy other than photocopy
|$4.40 per page
Copy in the form of a computer disk
|The cost of producing that disk
Copy to be sent by post or delivered to the applicant
|The cost of postage or delivery
Public access to AAFCANS IPS content is through our AAFCANS website homepage. The IPS content is accessible via the homepage navigation menu and Accessing our Information icon in the footer.
Information will be published under the following headings:
- IPS Plan
- Our Story (who we are, what we do & our mission, vision and values)
- Governance – our published reports and our board of management
- Disclosure log
- Consultation arrangements
- Contact Us
- Our loyalty program – vending disbursements
As part of the development of the website and in recognition of the need to have information easily discoverable, understandable and machine-readable, AAFCANS will:
- Utilise the IPS icon on the homepage of the website, providing a direct link to the IPS section on the website, containing links to all required information
- Provide online content in a format that can be searched, copied and transformed
- Create a sitemap of the website allowing easier identification of information available on this portal
- Provide a search function for the website on the next generation of this portal
- Provide a specific feedback FOI@aafcans.gov.au for community interaction about whether AAFCANS’ IPS entry and its associated documents are easily discoverable, understandable and machine-readable.